- "Things aren’t going so great with me and [Sweetheart/Spouse]..."
- — Mii, Tomodachi Life (US)
A breakup is when two Miis decide to end their romantic relationship with each other. It occurs when one Mii says that his/her relationship with another Mii isn't working out, or if the Mii in question agreed to become another's sweetheart despite already being in a relationship.
If the Mii states that his/her relationship with another Mii isn't working out, the player can then decide whether the Mii should move on or try to work things out - even a married couple with otherwise perfect relationship levels can experience this.
If the player decides that the Mii should move on, it triggers a cutscene in the cafe where the Mii breaks up with his/her sweetheart by saying "My feelings have changed... Let's go back to being just friends." This will play a piano riff and put both Miis in a depression. In Tomodachi Collection, the Mii will say "I'm tired, lets break up" and in Tomodachi life (EU) the Mii will say "I'm tired, let's just be friends."
If the player decides that the Mii should try to work things out, it will trigger a cut scene in the other Mii's apartment where they stand facing each other with the lights off. If the Mii succeeds then they will hold their hand out as the lights turn on and suggest trying to "give it one more shot" (US) or "make it work one more time" (EU) as the other Mii will respond with agreement. If it fails, the couple will crouch down, look at the floor, clutch the sides of their heads with both hands and rapidly shake their heads as a clock tolls in the distance. This results in the couple having to break up and a piano riff will play.
If the player goes to the apartment of the Mii that was broken up with and tap the icon, he/she will say, "Will I ever recapture those happy times again?" Then, a cut scene will begin showing moments when the two Miis were together. If a married couple breaks up, then upon visiting them, they will be in a depression. The one who broke up says, "Maybe we aren't meant to be together. At least not right now. Breaking up with your sweetheart is really painful." The other says, "My heart has hurt since we broke up. It's not heartburn either. What am I supposed to do now? I feel so lost." Sad, regal music plays in the background.
If the two Miis were married, their house at Mii Homes will be completely demolished, leaving a vacant spot in it's place until a new married couple fills it.
Another way for two Miis to break up is by going to either the park, cafe, tower, beach or amusement park when a couple is currently there. Upon entering either of these places, there's a chance a cutscene will automatically begin; the couple will be sitting together. The first Mii will say "We had a good run. Thanks for everything." Then, the other Mii will say "No, thank you." Then, a text box will read "[Mii 1] and [Mii 2] are back to being just friends.", then the view fades to white and the player is taken back to the island. If this positive breakup occurs, neither of the two Mii's will be depressed. After this, the other Mii will be under the "Ex-Sweethearts/Ex-spouses" or just "Ex" (PAL) category in relationships. This type of breakup can be avoid all together if the player does not enter any of the hangout areas or only enter the areas when a couple is not there at all.
If one or both of the Miis were children and made into adults with an Age-o-Matic, it will automatically wear off after the married couple breaks up.
If a fight occurs between a married couple or special someone and the fight failed to be resolved, both Miis will either request to break up instantly, or wish to get along again, depending on their relationship status. In the case of a Hostile fight, and the third Mii who tried to patch things up was unsuccessful, they will also request to break up. In both instances, trying to work things out will almost always fail.
When a Mii's confession to another Mii in a relationship is successful, then the Mii who was in a relationship might be sad unless he/she gets into a fight or if he/she is sick.
If two Miis who were sweethearts fail to work things out, or if a Mii loses their sweetheart to another Mii, that Mii's thought bubble will be clicked; it will say, "Will I ever recapture those happy times again?", and a flashback of all the happy times it had with its sweetheart will be shown.
There are two versions of the flashback, a long version and a short version. The long version occurs if a Mii's sweetheart leaves for another Mii. The short version is if the two Miis that were sweethearts broke up after failing to work things out.
The first scene is on the beach. It starts with the Mii running away from its sweetheart as they chase each other along the water, then they splash each other. The male Mii wears swim trunks and the female Mii wears a bikini. This is followed by the "tropical beach" photo of them.
The next scene is the sweethearts playing tennis. After a few hits, the Mii hits the ball out into the distance, leaving its sweetheart to giggle as it looks on confused. This is followed by the "Bokeh" photo of them.
The next few scenes take place in the Mii's apartment. The first is the two in a back-and-fourth conversation saying they love each other. This is followed by the "holiday" photo of them; then the Mii tells a joke to the sweetheart using a random item, but the sweetheart wasn't listening.
The last scenes take place shortly after the breakup, first the Mii playing tennis alone before giving up. This is then followed by the "cherry blossoms" photo of the Miis. The final scene of the flashback is the Mii sitting on the beach, staring into the sunset alone.
Another version of the flashback can occur after the main flashback is played. Upon tapping the Mii's thought bubble, it will say, "I can't stop thinking about all those happy times we had..." and the "I love you" scene of the flashback will play, but with the Miis repeatedly adding "really" to their conversation.
It is possible for Miis to get back together, depending on their relationship status. It plays out the same way as a Mii confesses their love, with a few differences.
As melancholic music plays, one of the ex-lovers will say, "I just can't stop thinking about how things used to be... I really miss [Ex-Sweetheart/Spouse]. I think we should get back together..." or "For some reason I keep thinking back about old times... I can't forget about [Ex/Divorced] I think we should get back together..." in tomodachi life [EU] If the player says "You Should", they will tell the Mii's ex-lover their message. If the player says, "Just move on", the Mii will forget about it, but they will not gain sadness. They could ask again weeks later, however.
It is possible for an ex-boy/girlfriend to express this feeling even after their former love interest became married with a different sweetheart.
If the player agrees with the ex-boy/girlfriend's decision to reconcile with their former married love interest, the player will relay their message to said love interest. The love interest will then say, "Really? [Ex-Sweetheart/Spouse] said that?", and if they say they'll think about it, the scene that follows will always take place on the beach, similar to the love confession. The Mii will say "Do you want to give it another try?", and the ex-lover's response is the same as accepting or rejecting the confessor (Sure!/I'm sorry...). If it all goes well, the two Miis will return to being sweethearts, and their house will be rebuilt. If an Age-o-Matic was used on either Mii, it will come back; if not, the Mii will sink to the ground sadly as it becomes sad and heartbroken, but it will not gain sadness and their relationship will not decrease.
Sometimes the ex-love interest would immediately refuse and ask the player to tell the Mii if things are going okay. This will put the Mii in sadness.
In some cases, if the new sweetheart is friends with the ex-boy/girlfriend, they will show up in the place of their ex-spouse to tell them that they are with their former love interest now, and that they hope they're cool with that. The ex-boy/girlfriend will reluctantly accept, and go into a period of sadness.
If the reconciliation was rejected by either the ex-lover immediately refusing or one of its friends showing up to tell the Mii they're not interested, the Mii enters a period of sadness and their relationship with their ex-lover will decrease, with the caption "That was a disaster".
- Since breakup requests are random and in some cases unpredictable, with no way to back out once the player taps the Mii's thought bubble, players should check the Mii's Relationships with either the L or R buttons if they want to prevent a breakup. In most cases, if the relationship level is very low (such as the relationship level being displayed as "Not getting along") by a Mii that isn't in a fight, the player should return to the Island and save immediately, then re-enter and select "Work it out". If the couple fails to resolve things, the player should close the game entirely without saving, then re-enter and try again.
- Oddly, breakup/divorce requests are the only time a "?" will be displayed next to the relationship level outside of fights. However, the "?" may not always appear, especially with couples with low relationship levels.
- It is entirely possible that a couple with low relationship levels will divorce off-screen while the game isn't powered on, without any orange problems indicating their desire for a divorce beforehand. The following day following the divorce, neither Mii will be depressed about the divorce.
- Sometimes if a Mii breaks up with its partner when they are sweethearts, the other Mii will not gain sadness and you won't be able to see their flashback.
- If the Mii's ex-sweetheart disappears from their relationship list, they will completely forget them and they'll have to be reintroduced.
- Miis will not break up/divorce or fight if they have a baby in their house, making babies the only method of preventing breakups.
- The music over the cafe's radio during the breakup cutscene is a somber, lower-key remix of the theme from the Compatibility Tester if you get an 80-89% rating.
- If a Mii wants to reconcile, the background music played is a slower violin/harp remix of the gentle bell theme played when they have feelings for someone.
- Sometimes, when a Mii breaks up with his sweetheart, he/she does not get depressed mostly because he/she got into a fight, or if he/she gets sick.
- Sometimes, when a Mii takes a photo, he/she might capture a person going out with his/her sweetheart in the Café, and you can see the ex-sweetheart of one of the dating Miis sad and jealous.
- Sometimes, Mii's want to break up with their Sweetheart/Spouse while the Sweetheart/Spouse is in the mii who wants to break up's apartment. This doesn't always happen though it's just random.
- A breakup is sometimes considered the saddest event in any video game due to the fact that it could be the parents of the player or the player themselves breaking up.