- "I have feelings for [Mii]. I've got to tell [him/her]!"
- — Mii, Tomodachi Life
- "I'm in love with [Mii]. I want to confess my feelings..."
- — Mii, Tomodachi Collection
Confession is a love-related problem in Tomodachi Collection, and Tomodachi Life. If a Mii develops feelings for another Mii of the opposite gender, they can confess their love to them and if it goes well, they could become sweethearts (Special Someone in Europe).
Deciding to Confess
In a Mii's apartment they will have noticeably nervous behavior, with either gray clouds showing Japanese symbols (JP) or hearts with a question mark surrounding them (Western). Upon touching their thought bubble, the Mii will say they are in love with another Mii, and want to confess their feelings.
If the player tells the Mii not to confess, the Mii will look shocked, and ask why not. The Mii will acknowledge whatever option the player chose and will result in instant sadness. Once cheered up, there is a chance that the Mii may want to confess again in the future, even if they were told that their target is "already taken".
However, if the player agrees, the Mii will for some advice. First, they will ask how to confess. In the player may choose to have the Mii:
- Be traditional
- Be romantic
- Be arrogant (Collection)
- Be desperate
- Be showy (Life)
- Be cute (Life)
- Use a line
- The player may type in a phrase for the Mii to say.
- Sing a song
- Give a present
- The player will give the Mii a present for their crush. The Mii can only give food, treasures, and special food.
Next, they will ask where to confess. The options are:
- Rooftop (or the tower in Life [US/EU])
- Classroom (or the school in Life)
- Concert hall (Life)
- Cafe (Life)
Finally, the Mii will ask if they should change clothes. Once preparations are out of the way the Mii will wait at the chosen location, as a slow heartbeat plays in the background.
The Mii's crush may show up, and the Mii will perform asked action. After the Mii confesses to the other Mii, the other Mii can either nod and say "Sure!" and become sweethearts, or reject the confessor by saying in an echoing voice "I'm sorry...". Should the Mii get rejected, he or she will gain an immense amount of sadness and a decrease in the friendship level with their crush. If the Mii being confessed to is not friendly enough to the confessor, that Mii may never show up, which still counts as a rejection.
In Life a Mii may want to try again even after being rejected. In this scenario the location will always be the beach and they will always give a present. Like a normal confession, the confessed Mii will accept or reject the confessor. However, when rejecting the confessor, the confessed Mii says in an echoing voice "Sorry, but I'm just not interested..."
If the Mii's crush still refuses to accept their love, the onscreen text will say "That turned out horribly," and the Mii will say "I'm finally able to let go," and they turn back to normal. But if the crush didn't show up, one of its friends says they're not interested in going out (usually a friend of both the confessor and the Mii they want to confess), or its current date explains they're going out now, the captions say "Things couldn't have gone worse...", and the Mii gains even more sadness. Upon tapping their thought bubble, they will say "I guess it's time to move on with my life..."
In Life, a Mii can also say they have feelings for more than one Mii or ask if another Mii likes them. The player may have to help the Mii decide who to confess to, and then the confession scene will play out as usual.
Also in Life, the target crush may have strong bonds with multiple friends of the opposite gender, which may lead to one of those Miis interrupting a confession. They will try to steal the target crush away from the confessor, while popping out of the background in hilarious ways (such as from the ocean, the locker, and the table near the confession).
The target crush will have to choose between two to three of their friends (depending on how many Miis showed up). When they make their decision, they may turn toward one Mii and say how glad they are that they feel the same, while the other rejected Miis hang their heads, sometimes fainting. If the confessed Mii chooses the first confessor, they automatically go into a relationship just like normal.
There is, however, also a chance that the Mii can reject them all, leaving all the Miis to either hang their heads or faint. No matter the outcome, only the first confessor can get depressed if he or she was rejected. Rival Miis do not gain sadness when rejected.
If the target crush Mii chooses one of Miis that interrupted the confession, the player has to decide if the two should establish a relationship, while the rejected walk away in the background. If the player agrees ("Love it"), they will look at each other lovingly and begin a relationship; if the player disagrees ("Bad idea"), their faces will change from happy expressions to shocked ones and will sometimes faint, and the relationship is off.
In Tomodachi Life, a Mii who has two friends of the opposite gender might try to set up a relationship between the two. Unlike the love confession, they will have an orange friendship icon on their apartment window instead of a pink icon. The player can say yes, no, or have the Mii choose a different partner to set up with. But, the female Miis available are limited, and consist mostly of those whom both the asking Mii is friends with.
Once the player has said yes or selected a different partner, a number of cut-scenes will ensue. The first scene is at the train station where the two Miis happily chat together or look around while waiting for a train. The other friend watches the two Miis through a newspaper with a hole in it.
The second scene is at the amusement park. The two Miis will be together riding the merry-go-round, sometimes talking, with the other friend watching them in a bear suit and trying to give out balloons to cover up their spying. They will turn to look at them when the other two Miis are across the merry-go-round from them and continue to wave at others when they can see him/her.
The third scene is at the café. The two Miis will talk to each other or stare out the window and drink coffee while the other friend peeks through the window.
The final scene is at the fountain, where the outcome of their relationship is decided. The Miis will be walking together on the way home, the friend Mii watching them from the fountain. They stop at the fountain and say their final words before parting.
If the setup worked, the male Mii will say how much fun they had, prompting the other to suggest hanging out again. The friend Mii will cheer in the background and the two Miis will immediately become sweethearts afterward, without a love confession. If the setup failed, however, the two will just think of the experience as a normal day out, as the two Miis will walk away while the friend Mii will look on sadly. The two Miis remain friends or acquaintances with each other if they have not done so.
Should the setup fail, one of the Miis may question why would the friend set him or her up with the other Mii. If they remain friends, the Mii may boost their friendship level with that other Mii; if they are acquaintances, whichever option the player chooses will not be added in the Mii's relationship list.
The player can know if the setup will work or fail by a few signs, such as the Miis talking to each other often instead of staring out into the distance or if the Miis look very happy at the fountain.
- The "Like" problem is the only love problem where the music doesn't change upon entering the Mii's apartment.
- There is an error in the girl-to-boy confession at the tower. The girl says, "Oh, won't you be my boo?" when really, a boyfriend is a beau. A girlfriend is a boo.
- In the set-up cut-scenes, the male Mii will act Outgoing while the female Mii will act Easygoing regardless of their actual personalities.
- There is a rare moment in the set-up cutscenes; the Miis talk to each other in all three scenes as if the set-up will work, but at the fountain, they walk normally as it failed.
- The player can tell if the confession is going to be accepted or rejected. If one of them has a low status ("Getting Along OK" or lower), there's a chance they'll be rejected, even if the other Mii has a high level.
- In the case if they will show up or not. To make the Mii show up, they must have a good relationship ("Good pal" or higher) with each other.
- There is a much higher chance of rejection if the Mii isn't being traditional.
- The confession usually fails if the confessed Mii is currently dating another Mii. However, if the confessed Mii's relationship with their sweetheart is low ("Kinda getting along" or lower), then it's guaranteed that the confessed Mii may say "Sure" to the Mii who is confessing, leaving their sweetheart.
- If a Mii confesses their love to someone in a relationship, another person interrupts their confession, and the target crush chooses the interrupting Mii; but if the player says that they can't date then the target crush will stay with their original sweetheart. This outcome is very rare and it only happens if the confessed Mii's relationship with the first confessor is lower than the interrupting Mii.
List of Usable Methods in Tomodachi Life
See the dialogue page for all the possible confessions a Mii can say.
|Be traditional||The Mii will confess traditionally, by saying something like "I love you".||Nods their head|
|Be romantic||The Mii will act romantic in their confession.||Gets down on one knee and spreads arm outward|
|Be showy||The Mii will boast in their confession.||Has a thinking pose while looking aside, then faces forward while folding arms|
|Be cute*||The Mii will act cute in their confession.||Spreads arms with a happy face, then folds hands behind back while tilting head and winking|
|Act desperate||The Mii will beg their confession.||Gets down on all fours|
|Use a line*||The player gives them a line to use.||Nods its head|
|Sing a song*||The Mii sings a short romantic tune.||Nods its head/spreads out arms (only at the café)|
|Give a present*||The player gives them a food/treasure from their inventory.||Nods its head, then presents food/treasure|
* = Exclusive to Tomodachi Life, not available in Tomodachi Collection