- "Life is unexpectedly tough right now."
- — Mii, Tomodachi Life
- Breaking up with a sweetheart or spouse
- Having their apology being rejecting by a friend after a fight
- Being rejected by their crush after a confession, and possibly having another Mii steal their sweetheart.
At the Mii's apartment there will be morose music to fit the situation and they Mii will say that they're feeling down. When they are sad a rain cloud or some purple embers (JP) can be seen floating above their head. Additionally, there will be a thought bubble with a face of another Mii, the one who rejected them.
The sad Mii's happiness meter will deplete entirely and will be replaced with sadness points.
- Feed them food or give them new clothes.
- Give them a new interior.
- Give them a travel ticket. (Instant cure)
- Feed them their all-time favorite food/super-all time favorite food. (Instant cure)
- Have another Mii find the sad Mii a sweetheart.
- If the sad Mii was rejected by a love interest, occasionally they might want to try to confess to the Mii once again, and if the Mii gets accepted their sadness will be instantly cured.
- If the Mii's apology was rejected, the Mii who rejected that Mii's apology will say that they're sick of fighting and will apologize. It is an instant cure if the apology is accepted.
- Have another Mii become friends with the sad Mii. (Instant cure)
- Delete the Mii who rejected the sad Mii. No reward will be given.
An alternate (though not very effective) way to remove a Mii's sadness is to completely ignore them; after 2-3 days (or rarely only 1 day), all sadness will be removed.
- If a sad Mii was rejected, tries again, and still gets rejected, they will sometimes say they're "finally able to let go" and they will stop being sad. Otherwise, the sadness bar will go up even more.
- When a sad Mii's apology is rejected by a friend or has broken up with someone, they both have flash backs when the player clicks their thought bubble. The rejected Mii's flash back show them and the Mii who rejected their apology after fighting. The ex's Mii's flash back shows them and their ex-sweetheart having happy times. There is also another version for the flashback for breakup when a Mii's ex-sweetheart ditched them for someone else. This will not happen with spouses, and there will be no sadness.
- If a couple breaks up, there's a chance only the asking Mii will gain sadness, though rare.
- It should be noted that "depression" is an inaccurate term for this condition. Depression is more than the ordinary type of sadness most people feel.